Install the MAC/Ipad Snow Leopard print driver and software using Apple Software Update.
Step 1: Confirm the printer is supported
Make sure that printer has a driver available for MAC/I pad OS X 10.6 before installing the driver. Some latest HP printers are no longer supported in this operating system.
- If the printer is supported then continue to the next step to connect the printer.
- Step 2: Connect the printer to the computer or network
Update Apple Software to install the correct driver, the printer must be connected to MAC/Ipad or to a wired or wireless network, and an active Internet connection is essentially required.
If you are asked to install the driver during the connection process, make sure to continue to the next step to add the printer to the MAC/Ipad printers list.
Wireless (Wi-Fi) connection to the network
Connect the wireless-capable printer to the network so that Apple Software update can match the correct driver and software required.
Opt Wireless Setup Wizard method if the printer has a touch or text navigation control panel. Printers having basic control panels (no screen, just buttons) use Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS) if having a supported printer and router, or change a USB connection to wireless in the HP software
Most printers come with a touch or text navigation control panel have a Wireless Setup Wizard available through the wireless button or in the Setup, Network, or Wireless menus. Use the guided tool to select the network and enter the password to connect the printer to the network.
If the printer does not have any of the above mentioned control panel types, try another other method mentioned in this document to connect.
- Have the following things with you:
- Network name (SSID)
- security password of the Network (Wired Equivalent Privacy WEP key or Wireless Access Protocol WPA passphrase)
- wireless network connected computer/ipad
- Wireless-capable printer: keep it near to the computer during the entire installation process.
- Make sure the printer, router, and computer are switched on.
- Make sure the computer and printer are connected to the same wireless network.
- Make sure Disconnecting the USB or Ethernet cables from the printer.
- Switch On the printer’s control panel; touch the Setup, Network, or Wireless menu.
- Touch Wireless Setup Wizard, and then follow the instructions given on screen to connect the printer.
Use Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS)
If the printer has a basic control panel (with no touchscreen or text navigation), if the Wireless Setup Wizard method does not work, use WPS to connect the printer.
Printer and wireless router should support the WPS push button connection type essentially. Refer printer and wireless router manuals to assure whether they support it. If WPS is not supported, then try one of the other methods mentioned in this document to connect.
- Switch On the printer control panel, press and hold the Wireless button.
- Leave the button when the wireless light starts blinking.
- In two minutes duration, press and leave the WPS button of the wireless router.
- Wait for two minutes during which the printer and router establish a network connection.
For LaserJet printers
Apply the wireless setup tools in the HP Utility software to set up a LaserJet printer with a basic control panel on the Wi-Fi network.
- Connect a USB cable to the USB port on the rear of the printer, then to the computer.
- When the Software Update window displays, follow the on-screen instructions to install the driver.
- Click menu on MAC/Ipad, and then click System Preferences.
- Click Print & Fax.
Figure : see the Print & Fax window
- Click the name of the printer, then click Options & Supplies.
- Click Utility, and then click Open Printer Utility.
- Click HTML Config to open the advanced printer settings window.
Figure: see the HTML Config button in HP Utility
- Click the Networking tab, and then click Wireless given in the left pane.
- Right-click or press the Control key and click 802.11b/g/n Wireless, and then select Enabled from the pop-up menu.
Figure: Enable wireless on the Networking tab in HP Utility
- Double-click network name to add it to the Current Network Name field, enter the network pass-phrase, and then click Apply.
Figure : Select and Add the network name and enter the pass-phrase
- Add network name to the Current Network Name (SSID) field
- Enter network pass-phrase
- USB cable from the printer and the mac/ipad should be disconnected .
- In the Print & Fax window, click the name of the printer, and then click the minus sign, then delete the USB installed printer.
- Click on the plus sign, and then slect Add Printer.
- Click the name of the printer with Bonjour as the kind, click the Print Using box, and then select the name of the printer in the pop-up menu.
- Select Add to add the printer to the list.
- Try to print, scan, or fax, depending on printer functionality.
Wired (Ethernet) connection to the network
Step 2: select and Add the printer to the Printers list
Create a new print queue in System Preferences on the MAC/IPad.
- Click the Apple/ipad menu, and then click System Preferences.
- Click Print & Fax.
Figure: see the Print & Fax window
- Check if the name of printer displays in the Printers list. Do any one of the following steps, accordingly if the printer is listed or not.
- If the printer is listed, remove and re-add the printer to confirm communication and that the correct driver is used. Click the name of the printer, click the minus sign, and then delete the printer. Once the printer is removed, click the plus sign, click the name of the printer, and then continue with the remaining steps.
- If the printer is not listed, click the plus sign, click the name of the printer, and then continue with the other steps.
- If the printer is not listed in the Add Printer window, confirm that the printer is connected to the MAC/Ipad with a USB cable, or that it is on the same wired or wireless network as MAC/Ipad .
- Click the Print Using box, and select the printer’s name from the pop-up menu.
Figure: check and select the name of the printer in the Print Using menu
- Select Add to include the printer to the list.
- If you are asked to install the printer software from mac/ipad, click Download and Install to complete the installation.
- If ‘Software is currently unavailable’ message displays, click Cancel, then go to HP Printer Drivers for MAC/Ipad OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard (in English) and try manually installing manually the software from Apple.
- Check through printing or scanning, according to functionality.
- Print or scan, if the driver is installed then the printer is ready to be used.