The printer supports at least one of the following methods to connect to wireless network:
HP Auto Wireless Connect
HP Auto Wireless Connect is a technology that allows you to connect the HP printer to the wireless network automatically without having to connect any cables or input wireless network settings like network name or password. Several latest HP printers have this capability during the standard software installation process.
For how to connect HP printer to WiFi apply this option and install the software for the printer and follow the onscreen instructions. When asked, click the “Network (Ethernet/Wireless)” connection type and select “Yes, send wireless settings to the printer (recommended)”.
All computers or network configurations are not compatible with HP Auto Wireless Connect. In this situation an alternate wireless setup method will be provided. To have compatibility with HP Auto Wireless Connect, the following conditions must be met: Learn and follow the following steps for how to connect HP printer to WiFi.
- Mac OS X 10.5 (and newer).
- The computer uses a wireless connection to the network and the operating system is in control of the wireless adapter so that the HP Software can retrieve the computer’s current network settings.
- The computer is connected to a network over 2.4GHz. HP Printers will not have compatibility with 5.0 GHz networks. But will still be able to connect the printer to a network using other setup methods as long as a router also supports 2.4GHz (as most do).
- the computer does not use a static IP address
- The printer is in HP Auto Wireless Connect mode. The printer can be in this mode for two hours after it is first switched on during installation before connecting to a network. If the printer has been powered on for more than two hours and the software has not yet tried to connect the printer to the wireless network, you can reset this mode by applying the “Restore Network Settings “option or “Restore Network Defaults” option from the printer’s control panel. Found beneath the Network menu or by touching the wireless icon (or button) and then going to “Settings” or gear icon. Refer to printer documentation for more information on this.
Environmental and technical factors might also affect whether HP Auto Wireless Connect is provided.
If HP Auto Wireless Connect is offered during the installation of the printer, it is the recommended setup method. Part of the setup process requires a computer to be temporarily disconnected from the wireless network. When have no Internet access. Be assured to save all online work / downloads before continuing with the setup method.
In case HP Auto Wireless Connect is not offered during the software installation or if it is not successful, you will be guided to use another wireless setup mode.
WPS (Wi-Fi Protected Setup) mode
WPS (Wi-Fi Protected Setup) mode – WPS has two modes to connect devices together over a wireless connection. The first mode is called “pushbutton” and the other one is called “PIN”. Pushbutton is the easiest method.
Instructions for starting WPS on printer refer printer’s manual. Few conditions that need to be met in order to use WPS pushbutton mode:
- Printer and wireless router both must support WPS pushbutton mode. Refer printer and wireless router manuals.
- The wireless router should have a physical Wi-Fi protected systems WPS pushbutton available.
- The network should use WPA or WPA2 security. Many WPS wireless routers don’t connect using the Wi-Fi protected systems WPS method or WEP either no security is used.
- Most WPS wireless routers may not connect using the WPS method if the manufacturer’s defaults are used for the network name and no security.
For connecting the wireless printer to the wireless router using WPS:
- Start the WPS pushbutton mode on the printer.
For instructions on starting WPS on the printer, refer printer’s manual.
- In two minutes, push the WPS button on the router.
HP Wireless Setup Wizard (products with display)
Wireless Setup Wizard enables to run from the printer’s control panel. (Not available for printers without a touch display option)
- Make sure you know network name and security password (WEP, WPA, or WPA2).
- From the printer’s control panel, scroll to the Network menu or touch the wireless icon and then go to settings. Select Wireless Setup Wizard option. T Wireless Setup Wizard will display a list of wireless networks in the area.
Settings can be accessed by touching a wrench icon, and this will depend on the product model.
Select wireless network’s name from the list.
If you don’t see wireless network listed, you can enter network name manually by scrolling to the bottom of the list. If you input name manually it should be exact and include upper and lower case characters.
Enter WEP key or WPA passphrase. You should input key/ passphrase exactly, including upper and lower case characters. The printer should connect to wireless network. And If it does not connect, then the opportunity to print a Wireless Network Test report that will help find out what went wrong.
USB setup of wireless (Products without display)
- USB setup of wireless – Printers without a touch display can use this wireless setup method during the printer software installation.
- During this process you will temporarily connect a USB cable between the computer and the printer. It’s important that you connect and disconnect the cable only when prompted by the software, which will guide you through configuring printer’s wireless connection.
- In some cases the software may automatically find wireless settings for you.
- To connect wireless printer to the wireless router using USB setup of wireless, proceed to Installing Printer Software.
In case, while follow the above steps for how to connect HP printer to WiFi and you face any issue, you can contact the experts for technical support.