Adam Collin | Published On : 10/23/18 4:06 AM
Printing is a complex process and problems can arise during printing. Before we can resolve the problem, we need to determine where the problem is really occurring. And in printing, it can be a little bit of a challenge.
While using a printer we are often presented with a scenario where we need to detect and resolve common printer issues. There are a number of symptoms like paper jams, blank paper, error codes, out of memory and a lot of other problems you may run into when printing. There are ways to resolve these problems like replacing fusees and drums, clearing the paper jams, power cycling and some other techniques can get you out of problems that you might be having whenever you try to print something out.
Common Printing Issues
- There are a number of printing problems that you run into all the time, one very common problem is the printer saying it’s out of paper, even though it appears that there is paper in the paper tray. Some printers have multiple paper trays so select the paper tray that has paper in it. Also, make sure that you have the right kind of paper and that the printer is able to use that paper in the right way so that it doesn’t jam as it goes through.
- If the printer is dirty inside, you may have a problem with the printer pulling the paper through the correct way and it may jam. You also have to make sure that the weight of the paper is properly designed for the printer.
- If you are having problems with ghosting or lines or smearing, there may be a few things, you can look at. If the printer is an inkjet printer, check the print heads. Very often there is a way to clean the print heads. Clean the print head and see if it resolves the problem. In case of a laser printer, there is a drum inside of the printer that you must check to make sure that there are no scratches on the drum. If the print is coming out to be blurry, then maybe the fusing process is not working properly.
- On your computer and printer, you may also see error codes, and sometimes these error codes are simply numbers or a phrase that doesn’t make sense. In such a case, you have to go through the printer documentation and see what the error code means.
- On laser printers, when you are printing very large graphical documents, you may have instances when you run out of memory inside of a laser printer. So make sure that you have enough memory in the laser printer so that you don’t get a partial print of the complex graphical document. This might not happen with texts because the texts usually don’t take up much memory of the printer.
- Sometimes the print queue is corrupted. You have to clear the queue and restart the printing process.
- If you start getting a lot of garbage coming out of the printer, a number of things could be wrong. One is that you may be using a wrong printer driver. You want to be sure that the printer driver matches exactly the model of the printer. If you still get this problem, then there might be an issue in the way data is getting from the computer to the printer. A bad cable,for instance, could cause big problems with the output.
The first thing you need to do is gather some information on the problem. Are you getting a blurry printout? Is there a line on the printer? Is it a garbled print or it may be no printout at all? There can be different people printing on the same network printer and all of them are getting a good print and only you are getting a print with a line, then there must be a problem with the workstation rather than the printer.
You can also print a test page from the windows workstation. Inside of windows, if you go the properties of the printer, there is a lot of different options available for your printer but down at the bottom is an option to print a test page and if you do that, the operating system will use the printer driver and send a printout to the printer and then you can make a determination on whether that worked or not. That way you can determine if the problem is perhaps with an application or maybe something related to the operating system.
Review And Analyze Collected Data
If you have run the test patterns and gathered information on the problem, maybe now you could decide what possible causes there could be. If you are able to print properly from inside of the operating system with the printer test button, but the printer application isn’t printing properly, then you should focus your efforts on the application. If you look at the printer and everybody is having the same problem, maybe it’s something related to the printer. Now you can start to figure out what’s going on with the printer.
If you have a knowledge base available especially on the manufacturer’s website, you can find out if other people are having the exact same issue that you have and find out if there’s a fix that has been released that might resolve this kind of problem.
You should also make a determination about the problem related to software or hardware or connectivity between the printer and the workstation or maybe the problem could be in the printer itself.
By collecting all this information, you should at least be able to start leaning in one direction or another so that you can focus your efforts now on resolving the issue.